Conger Meat Market was started by Ray and Mabel Bohonek on May 1, 1935. Ray Bohonek was born in Lisov, Czechoslovakia on February 6, 1896. He was trained in the meat business there and brought the recipes for sausage and bologna with him to America in 1914. Ray and Mabel first lived in Lake Mills, IA where he worked in a meat market. In 1935, they moved to Conger, MN where Ray built and started the Conger Meat Market. It was a real struggle for the first few years, but persistence paid off and the business grew.
Milford was born on August 18, 1936 upstairs above the meat market. He helped in the meat market most of his life except for the time he spent in the army. After returning home, he married Beverly Nash of rural Alden. Mabel Bohonek died in 1966. Shortly after, Milford and Beverly purchased the meat market from Ray Bohonek. In 1982, their daughter Patty married Dave Larson of Rochester and they moved to Conger in 1984 to help in the meat market. In 1999, Dave purchased the meat market from Milford and Beverly. He added new kinds of sausages, winning some state and national awards. In 2004, he sold the business to Jeremy and Darcy Johnson.
The meat market currently has a staff of approximately 20 full-time and part-time employees.
Conger Meat Market continues to serve Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa with Ray's original Czechoslovakian recipes, and a full line of choice meats and small town customer service.